WEST NIPISSING, ON – This year, we need to celebrate the holidays differently to keep our family, friends, and community safe from COVID-19. Many were looking forward to their traditional celebrations and were hoping that things would have improved at this time to allow for large gatherings. Unfortunately, COVID-19 is still present in our district and across the province. We have made many sacrifices this year to ensure the safety of our loved ones and to keep our community healthy. Now is not the time to take risks, decisions on how and who to celebrate with should not be taken lightly.
The Government of Ontario and the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit remind us that the safest way to spend the holidays is by only celebrating in-person with the people you live with, and celebrating virtually with everyone else. If you live alone, you may consider spending the holidays exclusively with another household.
We ask that our residents continue to follow public health measures and avoid all non-essential travel outside of our district, especially to areas with high numbers of COVID-19 cases.
You can still find meaningful ways to celebrate that will keep you and you loved ones safe.
Some safe and fun activities
- Have cards/gifts delivered or dropped off at your loved one’s front doors.
- Host a virtual holiday gathering; set up a phone, tablet or laptop around the dinner table to connect with those outside your household.
- Go for a drive to see the beautiful Christmas lights in West Nipissing.
- Make new traditions with your household members; host a gingerbread making competition, bake cookies, watch holiday movies…anything to get you in the spirit!
Let’s all do our part to have fun and safe celebrations while mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
We urge you to:
- Avoid social gatherings and adhere to the restrictions (10 indoors, 25 outdoors).
- Limit travel outside the home to essential trips.
- Maintain physical distancing with anyone outside of your household.
- Wear a face covering in enclosed public places and anywhere that physical distancing is a challenge.
- Wash/sanitize your hands often and cough or sneeze into your sleeve.
- Stay home and seek medical care if you feel unwell.
- Avoid travel outside of our district.
The West Nipissing Emergency Control Group wishes everyone happy and healthy holidays!