COVID-19 Assessment Centre
On March 30, 2020, the West Nipissing General Hospital (WNGH) will open a COVID-19 Assessment Centre in the Marcel Noel Hall at 219 O’Hara Street in Sturgeon Falls, 1.6 kilometres from the West Nipissing General Hospital.
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Monday, March 30, 2020: 12:00-4:00 pm
Wednesday, April 1, 2020: 12:00-4:00 pm
Friday, April 3, 2020: 12:00-4:00 pm
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is an out-of-hospital clinic where a healthcare provider will assess, and ONLY IF NEEDED, swab people who may be infected with COVID-19, with an overall goal of reducing the number of patients presenting themselves to the Emergency Department.
For health and safety reasons, the COVID-19 Assessment Centre is by appointment only, and “WALK-INS” are prohibited.
Not everyone who attends the assessment centre will be swabbed.
To make an appointment, patients must meet the below criteria and call the Public Health Unit at 1-800-563-2108, instead of presenting themselves to the Emergency Department. The patient will give their basic intake information and will receive a call back from a clinician for next steps.
The following criteria must be met for an appointment at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre:
- Fever (over 38 degrees Celsius) and/or
- Cough (new or worsening)
- Exposure History within the last 14 days prior to the onset of symptoms:
- Travel outside of Canada
- Had close contact with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19
- Had close contact with someone who has symptoms of COVID-19 who recently travelled outside of Canada.
There are two steps to be followed to receive an appointment at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre:
- Patients need to complete an assessment by telephone and will be triaged by a nurse from the North Bay Parry Sound Districts Health Unit (NBPSDHU);
- Patients triaged by NBPSDHU will be scheduled an appointment at the COVID-19 Assessment Centre as required.
West Nipissing’s COVID-19 Assessment Centre is funded and approved by the Ministry of Health. It’s the result of proactive and collaborative planning by WNGH, North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, the Municipality of West Nipissing, West Nipissing Community Health Centre, West Nipissing Family Health Team, and Ontario Health.
Individuals looking for general information regarding COVID-19 are asked to call the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit at 1-800-563-2808, and not the West Nipissing General Hospital.
If you need immediate medical attention, call 911 and mention your travel history and symptoms.